For millions of Americans, the mention of Highlights magazine evokes fond childhood memories of hours spent reading stories and poems, laughing along with The Timbertoes and Goofus and Gallant, or intently searching the Hidden Pictures puzzles for the concealed items. Generations of children were raised with Highlights magazine. Today, Highlights for Children is inviting those grown-up kids to share their memories as part of “I Was a Highlights Kid,” a new Facebook-based social media campaign filled with fun, interactive activities that celebrate the nostalgia of Highlights magazine.
Accessed through Highlights’ Facebook page or at www.Highlights.com/Memories, “I Was a Highlights Kid” allows fans to:
- Review June issue covers of the magazine from 1946 to present day on the “Look Back Machine”
- Share their favorite Highlights stories and photos on “Your Highlights Story” and “Then and Now”
- Race their friends to see who can solve the Hidden Pictures puzzles the fastest on the “Hidden Pictures Challenge”
- Take the “Are You Goofus or Gallant?” quiz with a little grown-up humor to determine which of the beloved characters they are most like.
- “Highlights has been an essential part of childhood for generations, and we love hearing stories from people who have special childhood memories of the magazine,” says Christine Cully, Editor in Chief. “’I Was a Highlights Kid’ is an opportunity to reconnect with adults who may not have seen our products in 20 or 30 years, or longer. We think they’ll be pleasantly surprised by the ways Highlights has changed – and the ways we have stayed the same.”
Highlights magazine began in 1946 as a labor of love for two lifetime educators, Dr. Garry Myers and his wife, Caroline Myers. Seven decades later, Highlights for Children has published more than 1 billion issues of Highlights magazine and has added a full suite of complementary products including magazines, books, puzzle clubs, games, toys and mobile apps.
Highlights kids, young and old, can relive the fun of Highlights magazine and share memories with their friends at www.Highlights.com/Memories . Visitors must be Facebook users to access the content.
Devoted to "Fun with a Purpose," family media brand Highlights for Children, Inc. (http://www.highlights.com/) has helped children become their best selves for generations. In addition to the flagship magazine, Highlights’ other offerings include a preschool magazine (High Five), an infant magazine (Hello), a children’s book company (Boyds Mills Press), puzzle book clubs and a variety of digital products.
For additional information about Highlights for Children, Inc., please contact Christine French Cully, Editor in Chief, at (570) 251-4508 or firstname.lastname@example.org.