- Say thanks—just thanks—to your parents, for no particular reason.
- Leave a kind, funny, or inspiring note in a library book you’ve read.
- Make a friend laugh: Wrap up a roll of bubble wrap and “surprise leave it” for a buddy.
- Tell a joke. Credit the person who told it to you.
- Be a study buddy—or help a younger kid with homework.
- Clear your own dishes. Then surprise your parents and clear theirs, too.
- Let your brother go first.
- Leave a dollar in a vending machine slot.
- Start a jeans drive. Toss in your favorite pair.
- Collect toiletries for service members. Add a card that says, “Enjoy my favorite shampoo.”
- Return carts at big box stores (yours and ones other shoppers left behind).
- Make your sister’s bed one morning. Turn it down that night.
- Pay for an extra ticket or bottle of water at the movies. Hand it to the kid who’s next in line.
- Let someone board the bus ahead of you.
- Clip coupons for mom. Help her find those items at the market.
- Pitch in: Take out the garbage after a giant family dinner, BBQ, or holiday celebration. Do it without complaining.
- Help a senior citizen pack and load groceries.
- Make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a local shelter.
- Invite someone outside your crowd to sit at your table at lunchtime or explore the library shelves with you after school.
- Collect food and canned goods for a local food bank. Invite your friends to help you so you can double, triple, or quadruple the amount.
- Be kind to a classmate you don’t know.
- Clean your room—without being asked to.
- Deliver a compliment a day—and mean it. Deliver two if you see it makes friends and family happy.
- Donate musical instruments, sports equipment, and electronics you are no longer using.
- High-five a friend who gets the answer right at school.
Parents Talk Back
How many books do you currently have in your house? Include books on tape, audio books, and eBooks, as well as all hard and soft cover books that you own or have borrowed. Select one answer below.
1 to 10
3% (3 votes)
10 to 20
4% (4 votes)
20 to 50
9% (8 votes)
50 to 100
15% (14 votes)
More than 100
68% (63 votes)
Total votes: 92