Ask your school-age child the following carefully worded questions to see how he defines friendship and how far he would go to entertain or support a new or trusted friend.
1. Would you rather learn a new skill from a friend or teach your buddy something you know?
2. Would you rather ask a new classmate to eat lunch with you at school to make her feel welcome or arrange a get-to-know-each-other playdate with her at home?
3. Would you rather buy a special gift for your best friend’s birthday or spend an unforgettable day together, just hanging out and having fun?
4. Would you rather attend a party for a sort-of-good friend or skip the party altogether to cheer up a really close friend who wasn’t invited?
5. Would you rather let your friend play with your favorite toy or let her eat the last of your favorite snack?