Just before the holiday season gets underway, your little learner will enjoy identifying all the funny creatures and goings-on in this Thanksgiving dinner-themed scene. And once the two of you have had a few chuckles from all the happenings in this picture, you can extend the fun and the learning with the activities below. Not only will they entertain and engross your child, but they will also sharpen your child’s math skills, enrich her vocabulary, teach her to separate what’s real from what’s not, and hone her storytelling prowess.
Encourage your little learner to find all 10 of these objects in That’s Silly!:
- A girl wearing bunny ears
- A jack-o’-lantern for Thanksgiving
- A critter sitting in a potted plant
- One giant piece of broccoli in the oven
- A spaceship
- A man wearing a cap
- A cat in the sink
- A robot taking objects from the refrigerator
- A green hat with a flower
- A child balancing 5 dinner plates on his forehead
Invite your child to find pictures of these eight action words:
- A mom baking
- A man carving a pumpkin
- A robot serving yogurt
- A woman chopping carrots
- A boy talking
- Water dripping from a faucet
- A couple strolling
- A football player dashing
There are so many interesting words to learn in the November That’s Silly! Point out the following 10 objects and say the word for each aloud. Then invite your child to say them with you.
- Dutch oven
- Football helmet
- Layer cake
- Cutting board
- Clown nose
Your little one will enjoy answering these eight totally silly questions with a “yes” or a “no.” Besides eliciting lots of giggles, this activity can help her separate fact from fantasy.
In real life, do:
- Dogs eat sitting up?
- Squirrels sit in potted plants?
- Football players run around in the house?
- People sit on the dining-room table?
- Men talk to robots?
- Grandparents come to dinner?
- People not look the same in the mirror as in real life?
- People chop vegetables?
Count on numbers to be fun. Invite your budding mathematician to tally up the number of these 10 items.
- People wearing pink shirts
- People with white hair
- People with brown hair
- Cartons of yogurt on the top shelf of the refrigerator