Every Goofus and Gallant feature depicts age-appropriate scenarios kids can relate to. Chances are, your own avid reader looks forward to this page and its important life lessons. This month’s feature urges children to respect others’ wishes (pets included!) and to pay attention to their own surroundings. Catch up with the boys on page 10 of the February 2017 issue, or check out our recaps and conversation starters below.
Recap: Goofus wants to play with his pup right now and doesn’t care if his pooch isn’t interested. Gallant lets his kitten decide when it’s time to play.
- Have you ever felt too tired to play with your pet? How did you communicate this—and how did your pet react?
- How do you feel when your pet prefers quiet time or time alone? What could you do instead?
- How can you tell when your pet is ready for playtime?
- What does he do to let you know playtime’s about to end?
Recap: Goofus knocks over a lamp because he’s not paying attention. Gallant takes a game outside to avoid breaking something indoors.
- Where do you need to be especially careful to avoid running into valuable objects?
- Have you ever broken—or almost broken—something because you weren’t paying attention?
- What did you learn from your mistake—and how could you avoid making a similar error again?
- What should Goofus do to take responsibility for his actions?