Recap: Goofus samples candy at the grocery store before his mother has a chance to pay for it; Gallant snacks on treats only after his dad has purchased them.
1. Is Goofus stealing? Explain why you think he is—or isn’t.
2. Is it stealing to read a book at a bookstore instead of paying for the book and reading it at home later?
3. Is it stealing if you eat both bags of chips a vending machine accidentally gives you when you’ve paid for only one item?
4. What would you do if a cashier at a store inadvertently gave you too much change but you noticed the mistake only after you left the store and finished your errands?
5. People’s hands can be really germy. Knowing that, are you more or less likely to want to buy candy after someone else handled it, as Goofus did?
Recap: Goofus ignores a leaky bathroom sink because it’s “not his problem.” Gallant comes across a broken water fountain and wants to report it.
1. If you were to spot an accidental spill or another hazard on the floor at school, would you walk around it or report it?
2. Why might it be a good idea to report the spill or hazard, even if you didn’t cause the problem?
3. Who would you tell first if you saw something that could be dangerous to others?
4. What words best describe Goofus’s behavior when he saw the sink leaking? What words describe Gallant’s reaction?