When a fan reveals she struggles to find interests she can share with a friend she’s known forever, Arizona confesses that she had a similar experience with friends she’s known for a long time, too, and she offers some helpful advice. You can find Ask Arizona on pages 40-41 of the November 2017 issue, or read a recap here. Then use the questions that follow to start a meaningful conversation with your child.
Recap: Growing Up in Groton is frustrated because she and her (now former) BFF no longer share the same interests. She wonders if it’s possible to “outgrow” a friend.
Arizona tells Growing Up in Groton she recently had a get-together with two longtime friends who couldn’t agree on anything, and everyone had a miserable time. Arizona soon realized that she and her friends were simply growing up in different ways and at different rates. Arizona explains that because people change over time, it is possible to outgrow a friendship. But who knows? After taking a break from hanging out together, Growing Up in Groton and her friend may be ready to spend time together again.
- Name some things you and your friends have disagreed about while hanging out together.
- Did you and your friends work out your differences? How?
- Have you ever found yourself stuck in the middle of an argument between two good friends? Did you take one person’s side? How did that make you feel? A little uncomfortable? Really stressed?
- Did you ever feel you were growing up faster (or slower) than kids you’ve been friendly with? What made you feel that way?
- Is it OK to take a break from a friendship? Why or why not?
- If you wanted to take a break from a friend, would you explain your feelings to your friend or just walk away?
Reading Comprehension Boosters:
- How did Arizona’s friends, Megan and Sylvie, each feel about strategy games?
- Name three activities Sylvie liked that Megan did not.
- Megan and Sylvie disagreed about many things. What were some of the things they did agree on?
- Of the three girls, who seemed to be growing up the fastest? The slowest? Where did Arizona fit in?
- What is Arizona’s plan for getting together with Sylvie and Megan right now?
- What advice did Arizona give Growing Up in Groton to help her resolve her predicament with her friend?