Listen to our For the Love of Reading podcast to hear host and Highlights Editor in Chief, Christine French Cully, talk with guest Dr. Christine Herring on how parents can use books to open conversations with their kids about social justice. Dr. Herring is a leading expert in the field of Race, Equity & Inclusion training and has graciously compiled this booklist of children's books with social justice themes.
After reading, use these prompts as conversation starters with your kids:
- Whose voices are heard in the text? Whose are not?
- What did you find challenging about the text? Why?
- What might other people find challenging? Why?
- Do you agree with this text?
- How is this text changing the way you think?
- What actions can you take?
- If someone else were to tell this story, what would they say? How do you know?
- How would you tell this story?
- What do the author and illustrator think we already know or understand? How do you know?
- What have you learned about yourself? About the world?