What You’ll Need for Each Color
- ¼ cup water
- Small disposable or recyclable plastic container
- ¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Food coloring
- Old paintbrush or foam brush
What to Do
- Pour the water into the container.
- Add the cornstarch until it’s dissolved.
- Add food coloring, and stir until blended.
- Repeat to make all the colors you want.
- Paint sidewalks, rocks, or other paved areas (with permission, of course). Don’t forget to stir the paint often to keep it smooth.
Extend the Fun
Younger children: The paint looks watery when you first brush it on the sidewalk. To pass the time until it’s dry, count out loud how many seconds it takes for the paint to really start showing up. Then write, in paint, the number of seconds it takes. Follow up by asking your child to write the numbers that come before or after it.
Older children: Help your child share his creativity with friends or relatives who live far away. After he paints the pavement, have him take a digital picture of his work. Then help him write a short message on the picture and email it to a friend or family member.