What You’ll Need
- 1½ cups baking soda
- Food coloring
- Distilled white vinegar
- Coffee filters
- Styrofoam balls
- Green paint
- Coffee stirrers or craft sticks
1. Set a six-cup muffin tray on a baking sheet. Put a coffee filter inside each muffin cup. Add ¼ cup baking soda to each coffee filter.
2. Put 8–12 drops of food coloring onto each coffee filter. Use one to two colors per filter.
3. Quickly pour the vinegar into each coffee filter. Watch what happens!
4. Carefully remove each filter, wiping off the excess baking soda. Let the filters dry.
5. Paint both sides of the coffee stirrers green. Let dry.
6. Place the Styrofoam ball in the center of the coffee filter. Wrap the filter around the ball. Push the coffee stirrer through the coffee filter into the Styrofoam ball.
7. Fold the filter together and glue it.
8. Place your flowers in a vase or small cup.
For younger kids: Decorate the flowers with markers and glitter glue. Add paper leaves.
For older kids: What else can you make with colorful coffee filters, craft sticks, and Styrofoam balls? Challenge yourself to make a bird, an octopus, a fish, or something from your own imagination!