What You’ll Need
- Cone-shaped coffee filters
- Tempera paints
What to Do
- Cut off the crimped edges of a cone-shaped coffee filter. Open the filter.
- Paint one side with tempera paints. Let it dry.
- Starting at the center crease, accordion-fold the paper on one side of the crease, then the other.
- Fold the bottom upward and tape it in place.
Extend the Fun
For younger kids: Together with your kids, look up the Little Mermaid statue sitting on a rock in Copenhagen harbor. Then they can gather their littlest plastic animals and dolls and place them in their seashells to make their own artistic statues. Shells were used as bowls in ancient times; mold a painted shell into the shape of a little bowl and fill it with snacks.
For older kids: Create a beachy atmosphere. Tape your painted seashells to a strand of fairy lights and hang the lights in a sheltered place outdoors, or around your bedroom window. Pretty!
Craft by Moni Ritchie; text by Mary Sears.