1. Save spare change throughout the year. In December, donate the money to charity.
2. Drop off gift cards for first responders or front-line workers.
3. Offer extra veggies from your garden to the local food bank.
4. Collect old eyeglasses for organizations that recycle and distribute them.
5. Make personal-care kits for the homeless in your community. Fill them with filled with soap, shampoo, toothpaste, a comb, a brush, socks, and other everyday essentials.
In the neighborhood...
6. Rake leaves, shovel snow, or carry packages for a neighbor.
7. Bake cookies for a neighbor who is recovering from an illness.
8. Host story-time on your porch and read poems and board books to younger children.
9. Donate gently used toys to local charities.
10. Walk a dog for a busy neighbor.
11. Plant flowers and veggies in a community garden.
12. Adopt a street. Keep it litter-free and beautiful.
13. Share a talent (music, dance, etc.) with neighborhood kids or the elderly. Be a positive role model for other children.
14. Be a friend to someone who needs a pal to talk to.
15. Shelve books at the school library.
In the community...
16. Volunteer at an animal shelter.
17. Host a neighborhood food drive and donate proceeds to your local food pantry.
18. Collect gently used soccer balls, baseballs, softballs, bats, and cleats for groups that need them.
19. Lend a hand at a fundraiser to promote community spirit.
In the world...
20. Send holiday cards to the servicemen and servicewomen who protect our country.
21. Practice random acts of kindness often.