What You’ll Need
- Cereal box
- Drinking straws
- Card stock
What to Do
- Measure 3 inches from the side of a cereal box and cut off the entire side. Decorate the inside of the box with paper so it looks like a soccer field.
- Cut two goals by trimming the flaps at each end. Three inches from each goal, punch one hole in each side.
- Cut two 1-inch-by-8-inch strips of cardboard. Fold them in half. Place a drinking straw in the center of each, and staple the cardboard to the straw.
- Draw soccer players on card stock and glue them onto the cardboard. Slide the ends of the straws through the holes on the sides of the field.
- Make a soccer ball from foil.
How to Play
With a friend, spin the straws to make the players kick and block the ball. Try to get your soccer player to kick the ball through the opposite goal.
Extend the Fun
Younger kids: There’s a lot of coordination that goes into playing this game. Start by helping your little one move the soccer player. Then add in the ball, but keep it just one player. (You could also make the ball larger than normal.) Then see about taking turns, from one player to the next. Have fun lining up kicks and celebrating goals together.
Older kids: Soccer will be one of the sports during the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Encourage your child to look up some of the countries that will have soccer teams in the games. Look for both men’s and women’s teams.