What You’ll Need
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 package strawberry gelatin
What to Do
- Wash the strawberries and remove the stems.
- Mash the strawberries in a pot.
- Add 1 cup cold water and 1 package strawberry gelatin.
- Cook the strawberries and gelatin over medium, stirring until the mixture boils. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour the jam into containers. Let it cool, then stir and cover the jam. Store in a refrigerator or freezer.
Extend the Fun
Younger kids: Come up with a name for the jam you made. You can name it after yourself or you can use another person or thing for inspiration. Then decide what the label should look like. Ask a parent to help you write the name of your jam on paper. Then use markers or crayons to decorate it. Tape the label to your jam container before you put it in the fridge.
Older kids: The recipe calls for 2 cups strawberries and 1 cup strawberry gelatin. How much gelatin would you need if you only had 1 cup of strawberries? What if you had 4 cups of strawberries? (You’ve probably realized that the amount of strawberries and the amount of gelatin you need is two to one, so you need twice as much strawberries as you need gelatin.)