These cookies are so easy to make that your kids can make them with little supervision. Two tips: Take the butter out of the refrigerator about an hour ahead of time—it will be easier to cream the butter and sugar together. Dip your cookie cutter in a shallow dish of flour so the dough falls right out of the cookie cutter onto the baking sheet.
What You’ll Need
- ½ pound butter, softened
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Use a mixer to beat the butter until light and creamy. Add the remaining ingredients and mix.
- Knead the dough until smooth.
- Divide the dough in half. Sprinkle just a little extra flour on the table, and use a rolling pin or a bottle to roll the dough to ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out the cookies using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, or trace around a cutout paper heart. Place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. The cookies will look almost white when done.
- Let cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely. Cookies can be stored for up to a week in an airtight container.