What You’ll Need
- 1 12-ounce package chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 24 pretzel rods or twists
- Sprinkles, colored sugars, small candies, chopped nuts, icings
What to Do
- Cover a cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- Mix the chocolate chips and oil in the bowl. Microwave the mixture on medium (50%) for 30 seconds.
- Remove and stir with a rubber spatula. If chips aren’t melted, microwave for 15 seconds more and stir again. Repeat until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Dip each pretzel into the chocolate (or spread the chocolate on with a spatula), letting the extra drip off. Place on the cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle on nuts, candies, sprinkles or sugars, or decorate with icing. Refrigerate pretzels for about 15 minutes to set chocolate. Store in an airtight container.
Extend the Fun
Younger kids: Help your child set a timer to count down the 15 minutes the pretzels are in the fridge. Explain that the timer will count down and that, when the timer rings, 15 minutes have passed and the pretzels are ready. Together, count backward from 15 a few times.
Older kids: Ask your child to pick one or two people to give some dipped pretzels to as a present. It might be a teacher, neighbor, friend, or relative. Help your child figure out what he’ll need to give this gift (like a plastic baggie or cellophane bag, ribbon, a to-and-from tag or a card). Encourage him to personalize the card with a drawing or special note.