What You’ll Need
- Index card
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Small resealable plastic bag
- 1-quart jar or plastic container with lid
- Markers or crayons
Before You Begin
Adult: Write the recipe (see below) on an index card.
What to Do
- Pour the flour into a bowl. Pour the brown sugar into another bowl. Pour the ginger, cinnamon, salt, cloves, baking powder, and baking soda into a third bowl.
- Pour the powdered sugar into the small plastic bag, and seal.
- Put half of the flour into the jar or plastic container. Add the brown sugar. Then add the rest of the flour. Add the spices. Then add the plastic bag and close the container.
- Decorate the recipe card. Punch a hole in the card. Thread a ribbon through the hole and tie it around the container.
Recipe for Index Card
(Makes 1 loaf)
Combine ⅓ cup oil, ⅓ cup mild molasses, ¼ cup milk, and 1 beaten egg in a large mixing bowl.
Open the jar, pull out the bag of powdered sugar, and set aside. Add the contents of the jar to the bowl. Mix until just combined. Pour into a greased 8-inch-by-4-inch-by-2-inch loaf pan.
Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely.
To Make Glaze: Combine powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon orange juice. Stir. Drizzle over cooled bread. Top with candied orange zest or candied orange peel, if desired.