Most of us call it pesto, but, for kids, “green spaghetti” says it all. Buy fresh basil at the supermarket, or plant basil in the garden with your youngsters in the spring, pick off the leaves when the plants start to flourish, and make your own green spaghetti sauce. Yum!
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup walnuts or pine nuts
- ¼ cup olive oil
What to Do
- Tear the basil leaves into pieces and put them into a food processor or blender.
- Add the garlic (if kids like it), cheese, pepper, nuts, and olive oil. Pulse until the ingredients are coarsely ground.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Mix the green sauce with freshly drained spaghetti and serve.