Think outside the box: Baking mac and cheese in a muffin tin turns a favorite kid-friendly food into a grab-and-go meal. These delicious snack-size bites are full of cheesy protein. They’re easy to eat at home or in the car—no utensils needed! For a picnic or party, transport mac-and-cheese muffins right in the muffin tin, covered with a piece of aluminum foil.
What You’ll Need
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups nonfat milk
- 1 cup low-fat cheese, grated
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
What You'll Do
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Fill the muffin tin with foil liners and spray with cooking spray.
- Boil salted water in a large pot. Add macaroni and cook (about 8 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Sprinkle in flour. Stir for 2 minutes. Slowly add milk. Whisk the sauce for 4 to 5 minutes or until it is thick enough to coat a spoon. Remove the pan from the stove.
- Add grated cheese to the white sauce. Stir until the sauce is smooth. Add some salt and pepper.
- Add the macaroni, breadcrumbs, and a little more salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
- Put the mixture into 12 muffin cups. Bake for 8 minutes.