Stenhouse Publishers of Portsmouth, NH, a publisher of books and other resources for teachers’ professional development, seeks a full-time, on-site production assistant to join our 50-person staff. Stenhouse is part of a partnership with Staff Development for Educators (SDE); both companies are subsidiaries of Highlights for Children, Inc. of Columbus, Ohio.
The successful candidate will assist the production department in a variety of ways. Specific duties include:
- Production assistance: Proofing of manuscripts and marketing materials ranging from books and catalogs to video viewing guides; scanning and using Photoshop to improve print-quality of author-supplied images; creation of simple graphics in Photoshop; helping to perform quality checks on ebooks.
- File preparation: preparing, archiving, and making corrections to InDesign and Quark files for all published materials; archiving images and fonts to allow for easy search and retrieval; collecting and transmitting files to printers and distributors.
- File and project trafficking: Registering/formatting manuscripts for Library of Congress; project scheduling and tracking; preparing ebooks for conversion; registering ebooks; archiving all files for later reprints.
- Outgoing permissions: Coordinating with authors and editors to obtain permissions for copyrighted material used in our books and videos; tracking and organizing permissions information and producing reports; negotiating permission fees for print and digital use
- Incoming permissions: Fielding and responding to requests from publishers, universities, professors, districts and schools seeking permission to use material from Stenhouse books and videos in their publications of their teaching
- General: Pitching in to help with whatever may come up, including occasional backup of Customer Service in answering phones
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Publishing, Graphic Design or related field.
- Editorial or production experience in a book publishing environment, including design and file preparation.
- We are looking for a good collaborator with strong organizational, project management, and communication skills.
- Very comfortable with Word, InDesign, Photoshop, and Excel.
- Past experience with Quark a plus.
- Works well individually and as part of a team.