VP of Marketing
The Vice President of Marketing will guide the marketing team in strategically positioning, messaging, and promoting the professional development publications, services, and events from Stenhouse Publishers and Staff Development for Educators (SDE). Reporting to the General Manager, the VP of Marketing will be a core member of the executive team and will partner closely with the VP of Sales to drive revenue.
- Build a team culture of continuous improvement and action orientation that places high value on data analysis, draws relevant conclusions, and adjusts course nimbly based upon key learnings.
- Set and expect high expectations for working with authors and presenters, recognizing that they are our most important clients. This includes collaborating with Publisher, editors, and sales, balancing author/presenter requests with marketing best practices, maintaining a commitment to problem solving and flexibility, communicating effectively when points need to be negotiated and continually ensuring that authors and presenters are treated as valued clients.
- Guide the team in developing product marketing discipline and effective processes. This includes defining and articulating unique value propositions, insightful customer profiles, competitive advantages, compelling benefits, and consistent messages.
- Lead the development and execution of comprehensive marketing plans and new product launch plans to achieve strategic, revenue, and profit goals. This includes developing multi-year, fully-integrated, strategic initiatives based on revenue goals, evolving market needs, market research, and competitive landscape.
- Working with the VP of Sales, build a strong field marketing function that continually arms the sales force with the tools, training, and initiatives to generate viable leads, close deals, and ultimately drive revenue. Determine a process of lead qualification, lead follow-up, and lead nurturing. Build a strong funnel of inbound interest, especially around bulk sales and in-person professional development.
- Develop and manage winning social media, thought leadership, and content marketing strategies that build brand loyalty and contribute to revenue generation.
- Create an in-depth understanding of our customer profiles and market segments for each product line. Ensure appropriate differentiation of voice, message, and offer based on segment knowledge.
- Manage a complex marketing budget while pursue an appropriate balance of print and digital marketing, constantly striving for the most efficient and effective marketing possible. This requires an in-depth understanding of strategies and tactics in direct mail, content marketing, drip marketing, email marketing, thought leadership, digital advertising, website development, search engine optimization, paid search, and social media.
- Navigate the complex relationship between two standalone brands and lead the evolution of those brands toward relevant and clear brand identities and style / usage guidelines.
- Identify and build efficient and effective marketing processes and functions, recognizing when to develop internal expertise and when to seek external partners. Continually watch Return on Marketing Investment and Cost Per Acquisition to ensure processes, initiatives, and campaigns are continuously improving.
- Become a trusted member of the executive team by establishing a reputation for calm and collaborative leadership, high expectations, willingness to negotiate and sometimes compromise, and have hard conversations when appropriate.
Required Background / Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or Business Administration or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least ten years of marketing experience, preferably in education, professional development, and/or publishing.
- Demonstrated success in a marketing leadership role
- Deep knowledge of marketing best practices, including market research, content strategy, digital, social media, events and loyalty/retention.
- Experience with CRM and marketing automation software.
Successful candidates will exhibit the following:
- Excellent leadership skills as well as enthusiasm for collaborating with fellow members of the executive team.
- Dedication to do what it takes to build bridges between remote and office-based staff, and to facilitate teamwork across two formerly separate companies. This includes flexibility, persistence, strong work ethic, unparalleled communication skills, professional maturity, willingness to try new modes of communication including video conferencing, and traveling as needed.
- Track record of leading high-performing teams that do whatever it takes to succeed.
- Ability to delegate but willingness to “get your hands dirty” when appropriate
- High level of business and financial acumen
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with internal and external customers at all levels – from presenters to teachers to district leaders.
- Exceptional oral, written communication, listening, presentation, and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Excellent time-management skills, the ability to work well under pressure and to manage multiple large-scale projects simultaneously, and the attitude to do what it takes to deliver the best services to our clients.
- Self-motivated with strong communication and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work collaboratively, communicate proactively, shift priorities easily, and manage expectations effectively.
This position is located in Portsmouth, NH office.